Sunday, October 4, 2009

Combo #2?

Today at church we talked about things in our lives and how we may not realize it at the time, but they may come back to help you in the future.

As I scrubbed the trailer’s fridge and freezer just now, I was reminded how thankful I was to break my nose when I was 6. Yep, you read that right. See, since then, I have this “ability” to turn my nose off to smells. I can smell if I want, or switch the ‘ol nostrils to off and use my mouth to breath. To think I wanted to get my nose fixed as a teenager and ended up not. Not only does my nose add character, but also this find feature which allows me to do things like I just did. Clean the trailer fridge and freezer.

This wasn’t the typical end-of-the-season cleaning. Oh no. This was “the trailer has been in the shop getting the awning fixed and there it sat for weeks “out back” with no power.” So this was a moldy, grimy, smelly combo of raw ground beef, banana popsicles, cheese slices, fish and many other goodies. To think, there our trailer sat and smelled all the more every day, only to be brought back home and plugged back in. Now? We have popsicle wrappers and Hershey bars frozen to the bottom and sides of the freezer. Needless to say, those things are thawing out and later I will go out for round two.

I knew it was going to be bad when I went to open the fridge and was met on the door handle with a goo that was a cross between honey and jam. Wasn’t sure what the color was, and I will say it is a color I could do without seeing again. But open the fridge I did and turned off the nose and got to work. Scrubbed, chatted with the boys who so willingly came out to keep me company. Took a while but eventually, white and shiny without black speckles all over.

Next is the freezer. By the way the goo was on the door handle for the fridge, I knew the “secret funness” had to be coming from the freezer. Open the freezer. Nose still turned to off, the boys took one wiff and OUT of the trailer they headed. It appears the goo was the raw beef and banana popsicles hanging out on the shelf in the freezer. Then I saw the fish that had been frozen, thawed and re-frozen. I guess I’ve painted the picture, eh!? Needless to say, now that I’m back in the house and have scrubbed the shelves and all in the kitchen sink in here, I am still keeping my nose turned off on the off chance I may smell like a banana-beef-fish combo, is that the #2?