Saturday, April 11, 2009

A God Thing

Isn’t it funny how coincidences happen? I’m not one who really likes to call things coincidence though, I believe they are more of a God thing than anything. I had a few this last week that made me smile… look off into the distance like “no way!”

We went to the library on Monday and got some new books. I happened to grab one that was a story about a special needs child. I thought it would be good to just read it without really talking about it first so the boys could see from the special needs child’s perspective. We read it Monday afternoon and then talked about it a little. Well, come Tuesday, when we met with our friends, I went and picked up pizzas for lunch. Brianna (Deb’s daughter) asked to come along. So Molly, Brianna and I headed to Little Caesars for a few $5 pizzas. While waiting in line, in comes a special needs boy with his mom. Brianna was kind of staring at him (she just turned 4) and then turned to me and asked “why is he talking like that?” I gave her the face I give my boys when they notice things like that – the “shhhh, but I’m not mad, I’ll tell ya later” face. I’m not exactly sure she recognized that face, but she did stop asking. Once we were back in the truck with our pizzas, I tried to help explain what special needs people are. “…They are different, not wrong or strange, just different, because that’s the way God made them.” We proceeded to talk about lots of different things (she is so CUTE) and then went on with eating lunch and the kids playing.

On Tuesday night, Erk stopped and picked up supper for us on the way home, but it would be a surprise. He didn’t tell us where he was gonna stop or what he would get each of us. When he finally got home, he had gotten me chicken fettuccine alfredo (Mmmm) and something each of the boys and Mol would like. I haven’t had that for dinner in so long. The very next morning, while out running errands, we passed a semi on the highway with some sort of store logo and a huge blown up picture of a chicken breast with fettuccini!

Over the course of the week, Shawna and I were looking at some digital scrapbook pages that had the word "fall" on them, pondering if FALL needs to be capitalized or not. I think what confuses me about this word is that it can mean a few things. Just like spring, I often wonder if when talking about the season, if I need to capitalize it. I never wonder about summer or winter, so I guess I should just know :) Anywho, on Thursday night while reading my devotions before bed, in my book she was talking about fall. She didn’t capitalize it! It was just funny that I haven’t seen the word in print in a while to remind me, then bam, I saw it soon after we had talked about it.

All of these things to say, it’s amazing how God can bring a smile, get you thinking, connect things like no one or nothing else can. He has the power to do all things. It’s so amazing, be it a special needs child he created for a purpose, a meal he provided on a night when I just didn’t have the energy to prepare a meal or how to properly use the word for a season He created!