Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Define Quiet Time

Ahh Quiet Time.

Yep, should be quiet, RIGHT? As I change Mol's diaper and lay her pretty little head down, she quickly complies and she's out like a light before I am even down the hallway with the 2 crazy boys. As I'm closing their bedroom door, I ask the same question I ask every quiet time, "what are the rules of QT?"

"Be quiet," they say at the same time.
"Annnnnnnnd?" I ask.
"And no coming downstairs til you say so."
"Good, thanks boys, see ya in a bit."

I walk on down the hallway and avoid the squeaky step on my way downstairs. Hop on my computer (first time today since during the day on Tuesday's, it's "no computer day for mom" as a way to keep my focus on them and not everything else pressing in online) and Jack comes down to present me with a gift. It was so sweet, melted my heart. He was whispering to me all the things he wants to do for each person in our family. How can you get mad at that during QT? So I tell him how sweet it was and send him back up.

Few minutes later someone is in the bathroom (which for those of you who have been here, the bathroom door is just outside Molly's). Then out of the bathroom loudly. Then 2 whispering boys at the top of the steps.

"Mooooooooooooom? they whisper loudly.
I get up from the table here and walk to the bottom of the steps.
"Guys..."
They are wanting to tell me something that has nothing to do with anything. Then claim
"we've been up here all day."
Umm, try 1/2 hour.

So I tell them, "boys, unless your hair is on fire, I don't want you coming down here or whispering to me from the top of the stairs. It's quiet time!"
They both look at me kinda puzzled. I quickly follow up by saying
"that's just an expression, never play with matches or light your hair on fire, I just mean if it's an emergency and your arm is cut and bleeding, then come get me. But if you wanna know how many crayons are in the arts and crafts bucket, that can wait."

They both look at me a tad irritated, and Mikie chimes in, "but what if I get a cut on the top of my hand and it starts bleeding?"