Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Moldy Oldy

It’s been another one of those days. Today it was harder to control the patience factor, as the patience seemed to jump out the window early on. I woke up in a good mood. I was glad especially since I had a dream in the night that Erk told me I was gaining weight and needed to do something about it. I usually wake up mad at him for things like that (can’t help it, they seem so real at the time!) but this morning I even had an extra bounce in my step. The boys got on the bus and we waved them off to another day of school.
It seems just walking back in the door was when all heck broke loose. Molly needed to be dressed (she smelled like pee) and Hunter was ready to find anything he could on the ground to eat. Legos, chip crumbs, dog bone pieces. He works better than any vacuum we’ve ever had! And you forget when your own kids are past this stage that you have to be extra observant. As I was trying to clear breakfast dishes (which are still in the sink by the way) I smelled poop. Hmm, I sniffed Hunter’s rear. Nothing. We head upstairs to dress Mol and what a pleasant surprise. Poop in her pull-up. Nasty. So I’m having to trust Hunter won’t eat furniture or find some unknown small piece upstairs and I put him down. Meanwhile, trying to get Molly “on the potty” cause she claims she still has to go. Poop smears on the toilet seat, she’s lollygagging when in the blink of an eye, and I grab Hunter as he is almost falling down our very steep steps. ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! My blood pressure tops out. Get her cleaned up while wrangling the 10 month old 90 pounder. WHEW.
Then things just went downhill (fortunately, not literally down our stairs!) and odds and ends stuff kept happening. We needed to GET OUT. I needed to get out. I had a mental list going of all the places we could “run” this morning to have something to do. Since Hunter is here until 3:30p, if we don’t “get out” these days, the day gets really long and hectic and I’m constantly on watch. At least in the car they can both be contained :) So we gather up the diaper bag and I take Hunter out to the garage with me. I have yet to put his car seat in the truck and lucky me, I get to do that while holding him. Fun to maneuver around (NOT) and I seem to lose the top layer of skin off my right arm in the process. Good thing it was just dry skin anyways :) In the meantime, I’m wondering, “where are my keys?” Where the beak are they? I look in every spot imaginable. Nope, not there, not there, where are they? Still lugging Hunter around (did I mention he’s a heavy lil dude?) and I can’t find them. I start to panic. What if I can’t find them? We have to be here all day? My list of things to do! Where are my FREAKING (I may have dropped another F word quietly to myself too) KEYS!?!? I search high and low and am about in tears. What do you know; I finally found them in the backseat of the truck on the floor. Hmm, can you say MOLLY? Whew, a breath of relief, get Molly and Hunter buckled up and run in the house for one more thing. A sample. Not a urine sample or paint sample, a potential mold sample. Yeppers. We had a potential buyer (that sounds better than a guy who has our house on his “maybe list”) notice what may be mold in our cellar entrance. It should be noted that we’ve lived here 8 years in May and I have never once gone in there! Since the sample Erk took the other day was left on top of his car and he drove away and it’s somewhere blowing in the breeze, I thought I’d be a hero and get a sample today and take care of it. Umm, I know why I don’t go in there. The doors to the outside were open so I stepped on the top step and got my bearings. Looking all around at the ceiling I can see the “white stuff” the potential buyer was referring to. Trouble is it’s outta normal reach. Sure, I have freakishly long arms, but still for me it was a reach. But I figured if I could just stand on the edge (on a few loose bricks) I could do it. If I was on tv, you would have all taken a gasp of breath because I almost met my demise! But I got the freaking sample and lived to tell ya’ll. Go climb in the truck with my two buddies and we’re off. Problem is I have no idea where to take the sample! So I call Dad who does some Google work for me and bam, I have directions. Silly me, by the name of the place I assumed it was here in our town. But no, it was downtown in the hood.
Before we head into the ghetto, we stopped at the grocery store a minute. We bumped into a friend who couldn’t get her automatic van door to close and I realized us mom’s all have these crazy things we deal with!
Anywho, we head to the mold place. Get there and they are the nicest people. The location was weird for what the place is, but they probably have cheap rent :) What do you know the scientist who would test it was right there and took the sample back immediately. So I stood there looking at the one fish in the fish tank with Molly and Hunter and Mol tells me she has to pee. We head into the head and she goes first (well, she didn’t really go, I think she just likes different restroom experiences) and I thought I’d go too since we had more errands to run and we were waiting for the test anyway. Let’s just say going to the bathroom with a 2 year old who thinks everything is “awky” and having to hold a 10 month old 90 pounder on your lap while wearing a not-so-easy-to-unbuckle-cool-girl-belt made for a few interesting moments!
We no sooner walk outta the bathroom and nice scientist guy says, “Congratulations, you have mold!” Oh, yeah us. Not to worry though, he gave me a thorough explanation and it’s a simple type (actually there are 2 types) that we can get rid of ourselves. We just need to risk our lives once more and sand it all down and then vacuum it all up. Then we can take another sample (I’ll let Erk do it this time) and they will provide us with the documents that say we are mold-free. Let’s hope it’s that easy!
From there we ran to a friend’s house to drop off some clothes (the route I took made us more in the hood than the mold place, but we found our way out) and then thought we’d venture out for lunch. Hunter kinda decided that for us since he was crying for about 10 minutes. It was close to lunchtime and he’s a hungry dude :)
So we went to a local place where we could be waited on. What can I say? That or sit in the truck with fast food and baby food being knocked outta my hands and having to sit in the backseat? Or going in for fast food and having to carry Hunter and a tray of food that he will try to grab. In we go and people think I’m some sorta hero (or weirdo) for having myself with these 2 little people. We eat and Hunter and Mol were so good. Molly did manage to drop her apple juice, causing her straw to puncture a hole in the side of her Styrofoam up and it came gushing out. But we got that cleaned up and overall the lunch experience was pretty relaxing.
Then on home we came. I debated one more errand to run, but at this point? We were ready for naptime. Get home and bring Hunter straight up to bed (it should be noted that in an effort to keep him awake for the 25 minute drive home that I gave him a fire truck and shoes to play with :)) only to find the lovely Bean dog had gotten the poopy pull-up (above noted) undone from the bag tying I had done this morning and made a HUGE mess in the upstairs bathroom. So I got to revisit the poop and was ever so pleased to see it again. Now? Hunter is still talking to himself (I took the wall hangings within reach down in Mol’s room cause he likes to try to pull things off the walls) and Mol was dropping Legos at me thru the register a few minutes ago. I asked her to stop 3 times and went up and spanked her. She gave me the bottom lip and at least now she is in bed talking to herself. Here’s to hoping for a few minutes of a quiet house before the afternoon gets away from me. Today is Mikie’s conference right after school so we’ll have to head out just after 3pm.

Hope your day is going perhaps smoother than mine???